By Tom Bukacek
While Pinterest is designed for people to express themselves through the majestry of photos, it’s popularity is causing marketers to want to get involved as well. What red-blooded business person wouldn’t want to advertise or promote their product on a website that is getting 2 million visitors a day? Now, you can discreetly promote your product or service on Pinterest if you use the proper strategy. Using some of the following Pinterest tips can surely to help you get your message out on the fastest growing social site:
- What you’re selling should fit in with Pinterest as a whole. Upon 10 seconds of research, you will find that the site mostly has recipes, design, and DIY. Basically, the site is most appealing to women. Therefore, you should market products and services that are appealing to the demographic on the site. If you want to sell heavy duty tools to Irv on the construction site, well, chances are Irv isn’t looking on Pinterest. Therefore, understand the Pinterest audience before utilizing it as an option for marketing.
- Link up with other social media sites. If you have a blog or Facebook account, promote your Pinterest account through those channels. People enjoy looking at pictures rather than text. Therefore, send them in the direction of Pinterest so they can find your online photos. This strategy not only gets you more exposure but it also gets more traffic to Pinterest.
- Use a little subtlety in your marketing. Don’t just use your board(s) to promote your product, rather create Pinterest boards to promote another product you find interesting. For example, if you are promoting a recipe book, also create a board about wines, as they complement food very well. This strategy shows people that you’re not just looking to make money from them, but rather, you’re seeking to add value to your board. Of course I do not recommend promoting a company that is your direct competition since that would be self-defeating.
- Look at what others that are getting lots of repins and likes are doing. Looking at other businesses that are not directly related to yours is a good ways to get an idea of what they are doing to get traffic to their boards. Also remember that Pinterest isn’t all about pinning your own pictures onto your boards; you can also share other people’s content as well.
- Utilize Pinterest for video marketing. Now, while you can’t host a video on Pinterest, what you can do is upload a still shot of a video, describe what the video is about, and link to your YouTube page or wherever you host the video. Then when people click on the link, they will be able to watch the video!
Following these Pinterest tips can help you as a company use social media in an all new way and since the site is the fastest growing on the web, you’ll want to be involved in the newest social phenomenon.
Tom Bukacek is the co-Author of “Marketing Miracles” with Dan Kennedy due out this Fall. Tom is also the CEO of Black Box Social Media, an online marketing company utilizing the latest web 2.0 marketing tools from social media to seo to video marketing to much more.